I have finished my first book in May and this was 'The Book of the Dead' by Patricia Cornwell.
I listened to this as an audio book, which has definitely influenced my opinion of this book. I haven't read many Patricia Cornwell books, or really murder mystery books in general, but I would have to say that I am starting to enjoy them.
As a non-Patricia Cornwell reader I really went into this book with not too many preconceived ideas about the main characters. I know that she has written LOTS of books with Kay Scarpetta, Merino, Benton and Lucy - but I am not familiar enough with these characters to have any idea about their past histories.
I have to say I liked the murder mystery component of this book, however I am easy to please in this department. What I found a little confusing was the portrayal of the characters. All the main characters seemed a little weak in this book, by that I mean that they were all sad and depressed and didn't seem to have much depth or substance to them. Again I'm not sure if this is similar to PC's other books, perhaps it is, and also in fairness to PC this may well be part of an ongoing storyline weaving through all her Scarpetta books. I can only hope that all these characters come out of this slump in the coming books though!!
All in all, as far as the murder mystery part of the storyline, I really l enjoyed that, and it was a great book to listen to in the car while I was driving too and from work! If the characters had slightly more substance to them, I would have perhaps rated this book slightly higher, however I would still say that is was an enjoyable easy read.
3/5 stars
Happy reading!
~ Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment